It's hard to come up with something positive from Saturday's bloodbath. Albert Pujols reasserted himself as the biggest of all Astros-killers, absolutely mashing two balls out of the park, all the while giving himself a career-high tying seven RBI's. After a day like today, I think I have found my angle for this blog... stay positive. Although today's game is a perfect example of how hard keeping it positive might end up being, I will strive to find some sort of nugget or piece of information that might give hope to the most desperate of fans. With the way this team is playing, even at 1-4, the season is far from over.
Before I give the blinders-on homer fan message, I will discuss what went wrong Saturday. Roy gave the offense a solid chance to make something happen, but when a team leaves eight runners on base after 4 innings, pitchers begin to get fed up. A guy like Oswalt needs production from the offense. How is it that Adam Wainwright had thrown more than 80 pitches going into the 5th, yet the Astros had yet to score? I said yesterday that the Stros crush middle relief, and I stand by this statement, but it must be said that it helps if Lance Berkman is facing those guys in a 2-2 game rather than while down seven in the 6th.
Saturday's positive aspect: Michael Bourne continues to hit. I think his time at the bottom of the lineup should be coming to an end soon. He's hitting over .300 and seems to be seeing the ball really well. If he is able to keep progressing, a lineup with him leading off, Matsui hitting 2nd, and Pence hitting 6th, these guys could be nasty. It may be too soon, but still probably worth a try.
Here's to not going 1-5 to start the season....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- SN's
- Scotty Spiegel is a freelance writer/blogger/broadcaster based out of Houston, Texas. Some of his work can be viewed at youtube.com/sspiegel024
This will be where credits go
You'll see...
No comments:
Post a Comment